Monday, June 24, 2013

Brief update on Completed Projects...While I still have my sanity

This post was originally posted on The Dropped Thread on 1/10/13.  It has been moved to this blog by the owner.

Dear Reader,

I've been so busy the last few weeks cleaning out my house, particularly my fabric, pattern, and notion stash.  I don't know what has gotten into me.  I'm not making much progress on anything because I keep discovering fabric and notions I don't remember buying!  I'm making two piles to give away to YOU, my lovely Readers, one with sewing supplies I know I will never get around to using and another for those who are only interested in needlework items.  I have 3 unopened rolls of Stitch-Witchery -- WHY?  And WHY do I have so many patterns that are not even close to my size -- I KNOW I couldn't have read the sizing that wrong, or er...gained that much weight? Hmm... never-mind.

Meanwhile, I have to make room so I can get organized to complete my task of 52 carriers.  I had planned on starting the year off by finishing two purses that are UFO (unfinished objects) promised to friends.  I found the outside fabric that had already been cut out, but I've managed to loose the lining fabric for BOTH projects.  I know I've cut it out already, but where did it crawl off to?  And yes, in all the cleaning chaos I misplaced my scissors TWICE!

In the meantime, I've given those projects up until I come across the lining fabrics.  I've started my first carrier piece from a new pattern which I will go back to working on as soon as I finishing writing this post.


"Gold Metal" by Villa Rose Designs
An update on completed projects is due. The first week of 2013 I finished my 2nd quilt top using the "Gold Metal" pattern by Villa Rosa Designs.  It was very easy to cut out, but during sewing I had to rip out a few times when I mixed up the order the pieces were laid out.  I'm sure that will improve with experience.

I used two coordinating fabrics from my own stash to pull all the colors from, the girls on motor cycles and the fabric with the girls faces - both are from the "Wild Ones" collection by Fabri-Quilt, Inc. The blue is "Marble Swirl" by Moda, the gray clovers is from the "Kiyomi" collection by Red Rooster Fabrics, the yellow (Dandelion) fabric and purple (Sweet Purple) are both "Marbles" by Moda, the pink is from the "Dimples" collection by Gail Kessler for Andover Fabrics, the orange print with white flowers and pink berries is from the "Veranda" collection by Amanda Murphy for Robert Kaufman. I don't know where the red polka-dot is from - but I'm a big fan of red polka-dots so I'll be using it again.

I'm thinking of giving this quilt to teen girl, and I have two in mind that are both petite.  The pattern is 42"x52" finished.  I can't decide if I should add a border of the "Wild Ones" fabric to lengthen it or not.  I'm very tall so I really can't judge this by holding it up to myself.  Is there anyone out there with more experience than me with a recommendation for or against?

I found (in all my cleaning efforts) another cross-stitch project that I had finished in 2012, but tucked away for Christmas and then forgot.  I had completed two of the stockings from the "Red Stocking Collection II" by JBW Designs.  They were both done on prefabricated stockings by JBW Designs, which made it very quick work.  I used DMC (666).
Red Stockings II 
I have another class this weekend at Quilters Emporium - the monthly Table Cloth Class.  It came highly recommended as a good way for beginners to learn knew techniques.  I'm looking forward to having a completed project to show you next week.

In the meantime, I'll continue with my sewing and cleaning.  Have a good week!
Go Houston Texans!

Note:  If you are using LiveJournal you may have problems leaving comments.

Brenda

No comments: