Monday, June 24, 2013

Comicpalooza and Carrier Updates

This post originally appeared at The Dropped Thread on 05/22/2013 .  It has been moved to the blog by the owner.

Two posts for May - I'm on a roll. I told you I wouldn't wait long for my next post.  Hopefully, I can make this a habit.  There won't be any sewing going on at my house this week.  I've volunteered as a Personal Assistant to guests at Houston's Comicpalooza.  Many people ask me if this has something to do with comedians, but no it's a comic book convention.  We have several celebrity personalities who have acted/are acting in Science Fiction related movies and/or television.  This year GalactiCon III has chosen our convention to host their convention.  GalactiCon is held every 5 years with actors from the original and reimagined Battlestar Galactica television series, along with the followup Caprica series.  Here is a photo of me at last year's convention with the voice actors of Zim and Grr from the cartoon series Invader Zim.

Richard Horvitz, Rikki Simmons, and me
Comicpalooza 2012
I'm so excited that the guys asked for me to work with them again this year!  Yay! We had a good time at last year's con, and they are so funny!  We were the most popular table; with everyone laughing so hard you would think it really was a comedian con!

So - back to sewing.  I started this Miranda Day Bag in a class at Quilters Emporium, as I mentioned in an earlier post here my sewing machine wasn't working and it ruined part of the fabric.  I've since bought a new sewing machine, a Janome 6600 named Ola, and haven't had any problems.  I love this machine so much I named it after my grandmother who taught my mother to sew, who taught me to sew.
Miranda Day Bag
Pattern by Lazy Girl Designs
Miranda Day Bag - Interior
Fabrics - first 3 from "Little Black Dress" by Basic Grey for Moda
Black fabric - "Itsy Bits" created by Renee Nanneman of Need'l Love
I LOVE Basic Grey Scrapbook paper, and now I can't stop using the fabric too!  The one thing I would change when making this bag is to skip the instructions for using Velcro (r) on the tap (it didn't hold at all), and use a magnetic fastener instead.  I'm going to have to come up with some solution for holding this closed that can be applied with everything already sewn together.  Also, because the main fabric is the one that got ruined by the old sewing machine, I replaced it with the black fabric.  The black roses on grey fabric was already cut and quilted so I switched the positions of the fabrics and used it as the main fabric instead.  If you look at the pattern, there should be a larger portion on top and smaller bottom fabric, but it looks okay anyway.

I finished the Tuscany Tote in a class at Quilters Emporium.  No problems during this class.  I love this finished bag, and would recommend this pattern.  I have several people in mind who would like this bag because they are either into butterflies or anime, so I'm going to have to make a hard decision when Christmas comes around.

Tuscany Tote
Pattern by Pink Sand and Beach
Fabric - "Butterfly Princess, Natural" by Alexander Henry (Anime Girls)
"Field Notes" by SEI for Robert Kaufman (small & large butterfly prints)
"Aboriginal Dots" by Kaffe Fassett (blood orange circles)
Interior view - has 6 pockets, magnetic snap
I've finished a Mondo bag too, but I'll save that for the next post - along with photos of fabric to be used in future projects.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day for my U.S. friends.  Have a great weekend to the everyone.

BRENDA

No comments: