Monday, June 24, 2013

May update on Carrier projects

This post originally appeared on The Dropped Thread on 5/18/13. It has been moved to this blog by the owner.

Gosh, its been a long time since I posted.  Once again I've been busy sewing away. I hope you guys had a good Mother's Day, whether you are a mother or not. There should be a Celebrate Women and All We Do Day. That could cover all we do whether we are mothers, daughters, sisters, wives or girlfriends, employees, bosses, etc. We.Do.A.Lot!

Here's some of what I've been doing:
Christmas Gift Bag - Butterick B3485
Christmas Gift Bag - Butterick B3485

These bag were both in my UFO pile.  I finished them up and now have two reusable Christmas Gift Bags. They hold a pretty good amount and are closed securely using two plastic spring-loaded do-hickeys.  I can't remember the correct name for it right now, but if I remember I'll add it to this post later.

The fabrics were random Christmas-y fabrics from my horde.  The pattern is several years old - Butterick B3485 (Making History).  It is based on a Renaissance pattern.  I wouldn't recommend sewing very many of these bags because each one has 20 buttonholes!  I used to have a home-based business making these in novelty fabrics for sale as dice bags.  They were very popular with the tabletop & D20 gaming community because they hold a tremendous amount of loose dice without any falling out.  But after I made +200 the buttonhole mechanism on my Singer sewing machine broke and never worked right again, even with repairing it twice.



The Queen Bee Bag - Front
The Queen Bee Bag - Back
This bag is from a pattern I found at the Moda Bake Shop.  The blog states that it is an "120 Minute Gift" but it took me almost 3 days to make this, and that was working all day on 2 of those days.  The fabric I used is "Farmers Market" by Brannock & Patek for Moda.  I added the extra strap across the top of the back so I could put a long ruler in the back pocket without it flipping out because of the length/weight.  I have my travel ironing board in it and it fits perfectly.  The pattern states that the finished product will be 22"x26".  I'm going to buy a cropping mat to fit it (there's plenty of room even with the ironing mat inside), and use this for my sewing/quilting classes that I love so much.  Even though it was a lot of work, I'm very pleased with the finished product and can't wait to use it.

See - Ludwig loves it too!
Two more changes I made from the online pattern - I used my printed pattern on the outside for the front pocket, instead of the solid fabric; and, I used 2 ceramic buttons from my collection for the small front pockets instead of buckles.  Warning - the online pattern can be difficult to follow at times.  I had to do a lot of rereading to make sense of it sometimes.  Not for beginners.

I've finished two more projects, but will save those for the next post, which will not take as long to get to - I promise.

BRENDA 

If you are viewing this using LiveJournal, you make have problems leaving comments.

No comments: