Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Ranch Hand Quilt - WIP 1

The Ranch Hand Quilt - 2 borders on, 2 more to go
This quilt started out when I fell in love with a fabric that reminded me of old western saddles.  It's a black and brown color that looks like embossed leather, "Desiree" by Blank Quilting.



Desiree by Blank Quilting
Being from Texas, I'm not afraid of a western themed quilt or anything that looks like it has horse or cow hide on it being in my house. I found the Desiree fabric at Sew Contempo but they really didn't have any fabrics I wanted to blend with it, and I didn't know what pattern I wanted for it but I knew I wanted it for the focus fabric.  So I do what I always do, I bought about 2-3 yards.  Then I went in search of a pattern that would fit that amount of fabric.  I found "Campout" in Fun and Fast First Quilts by Sara Diepersloot, it is 2 large blocks and 4 borders.  The rest of the fabric I found at Quilters Emporium.  I knew I wanted a masculine feel to the finished quilt, so the angular browns, blacks, and creams worked well.  I went with the red accent color because it's my favorite, and it's color I'm using to tie in all the rooms in my future home.  Plus, I wanted to bring in a Spanish rose theme against all the leather to soften it.

Fabrics included are: "Desiree" by Blank Quilting; 2 different patterns from "Rosie's Love Letters" Collection by Stof; "Horse Trail Buckskin Brown" and "Tooled Leather Black" from "King of the Ranch" Collection by Sara Tuttle Khammash for Moda; "Seasonal Little Gatherings Crimson", "Old Glory Gatherings Red", "Primitive Muslin Pie Crust", "Little Gatherings Raven" by Primitive Gatherings for Moda; and "Nightscape" by Faye Burgos for Marcus Brothers.

From the photo above all that remains to be sewn are the last two borders, the "Little Gatherings Raven", which is a 1-inch black border around, and then a 6.5" border of the "Buckskin Brown".  The binding will be done in the "Seasonal Little Gatherings Crimson", which has red with tiny black stars, and circles around the stars. 

A few weeks back I found the "Desiree" on clearance at Sew Contempo and I grabbed the rest on that bolt.  I'm not sure there's enough for entire quilt back; I might have to piece it with something else.  Oh my, more fabric shopping.

No comments: